From: Bioenergy and Sustainable Technology Society [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Kathleen Pagan [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2014 9:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Energy Beat from the EU #2/ solar bike path

According to the information below (I received this via Linked-In from a former UF Planning student now in her native Netherlands), there is also a cultural tourism component to this solar bike lane project which will provide economic return in addition to lighting/energy impacts.

“The opening of the bike path is also the start of the international theme year Van Gogh in 2015.”

Also I don’t which distance for the path is correct since CNN reports 230 Feet (ft) =  70.104 Meters (m).

Information provided from the (translated) Netherlands news is 600 meters (M) = 1968.5 Feet (ft).

Clarifying this could impact the energy/ cost efficiency analysis results.

Kathleen Pagan, AICP, Alachua County Growth Management

*****

Info received via Linked In from Tessa Koene, UF Graduate MAURP

http://www.eindhoven.nl/actueel/nieuws/Van-Gogh-fietspad-geopend.htm

(Page Translated with Google Translate)

Wednesday, November 12th is the innovative Van Gogh in Eindhoven bike path opened by Mayor Van Gijzel, deputy Brigitte van Haaften and Daan Roosegaarde. Also Princess Laurentien was present from the Missing Chapter Foundation. The Van Gogh bike is designed by Daan Roosegaarde and been built.

Sustainable techniques

The cycle path, between Eindhoven and Nuenen, is unique and was taken into account in achieving sustainable innovative techniques. Visitors are surprised at dusk by a design of light and color, inspired by the famous work 'The Starry Night' by Vincent van Gogh. The 600 meter long path is lit by thousands of glow-in-the-dark stones. Street may be less necessary or even unnecessary by using glow-in-the-dark applications in the form of road markings or pearls. This energy is saved.

Van Gogh cycle route

The Van Gogh cycle is part of the Van Gogh cycle route, linking heritage sites of the painter. From In Nuenen, he made his first masterpiece "The Potato Eaters" and explained the Opwettense mill and mill Collse stuck in his paintings. Between these mills the new bike path that bridges the gap between contemporary design, innovation, cultural heritage and tourism in Brabant. The opening of the bike path is also the start of the international theme year Van Gogh in 2015.

[log in to unmask]" alt="http://www.eindhoven.nl/upload_mm/b/5/2/78213_fullimage_van-gogh-fietspad.jpg" height="225" width="300" border="0">

(via Linked In from Tessa Koene, UF Graduate MAURP)-  It's about 600 meters long in Eindhoven (one of our technical-university cities) and works with little glow-in-the-dark peddles. Kind of the same system as the stars I had as a kid on my ceiling. It's designed by Daan Roosegaarde (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daan_Roosegaarde). The lane is designed to look like the famous "The Starry Night", from Van Gogh. The goal of the lane is to show that you don't need lightening as we know it till now, but that this kind of solution works as well.

In the Ministry I work for (infrastructure and environment) Roosegaarde is quite known as well. One of our highways is designed as an innovative highway and we try to work with him a lot. He has great ideas about mainly lightening.

****