Hello BEST members,
  As I mentioned in a post last week, algae could be potentiallyincorporated into power plant systems to utilize flue gas CO2 thatwould otherwise be emitted into the atmosphere. This concept of using algae to untilizeCO2 emissions has recently been applied to the roads. In Geneva , Switzerland an algae farm was built above a busy highway. There the algae can use theabundant CO2 and sunlight to be grown for biodiesel, medicine, andcosmetics. The sustainable system even pumps the algae using solar poweredelectricity. Currently, this highway algae farm is just a prototype but I lookforward to seeing more highway algae farms pop up in other areas.   Adele Peters. “An Algae Farm Designed To Suck Up Highway Pollution” November 7th2014. Fast Company. http://www.fastcoexist.com/3038134/an-algae-farm-designed-to-suck-up-highway-pollution#6– Scroll down for story  Neha Karl. “Putting an algae farm on top of a busy highwaymight sound bizarre, but this thriving farm in Switzerland is actively filteringpollution from the air” Novermber 4th 2014. Science Alert. http://www.sciencealert.com/this-algae-farm-eats-highway-pollution  Thanks for reading,   Brett NelsonUniversity Scholar – CALSBioEnergy and Sustainable Technology LabSoil and Water Science Department