Hello BEST members,

As I mentioned in a post last week, algae could be potentially incorporated into power plant systems to utilize flue gas CO2 that would otherwise be emitted into the atmosphere. This concept of using algae to untilize CO2 emissions has recently been applied to the roads. In Geneva , Switzerland an algae farm was built above a busy highway. There the algae can use the abundant CO2 and sunlight to be grown for biodiesel, medicine, and cosmetics. The sustainable system even pumps the algae using solar powered electricity. Currently, this highway algae farm is just a prototype but I look forward to seeing more highway algae farms pop up in other areas.

Adele Peters. “An Algae Farm Designed To Suck Up Highway Pollution” November 7th 2014. Fast Company. http://www.fastcoexist.com/3038134/an-algae-farm-designed-to-suck-up-highway-pollution#6 – Scroll down for story

Neha Karl. “Putting an algae farm on top of a busy highway might sound bizarre, but this thriving farm in Switzerland is actively filtering pollution from the air” Novermber 4th 2014. Science Alert. http://www.sciencealert.com/this-algae-farm-eats-highway-pollution

Thanks for reading,

Brett Nelson
University Scholar – CALS
BioEnergy and Sustainable Technology Lab
Soil and Water Science Department