Aloha SOCNET community,

I am looking for existing research indicating that in some cases, bridging
and/or brokerage may cause economic disadvantages for individuals,
particularly when or if there are strong network subgroups which may
"penalize" brokers for associating with other groups.

I am very familiar with Burt's work on brokerage, but my primary takeaway
from it is that occupying brokerage positions is thought to be a source of
social capital expected to generate benefits. I am looking for theoretical
and/or empirical evidence that suggests the opposite - i.e., people who
broker are significantly less productive (economically), particularly
when/if there are strong network subgroups that may cause brokers (defined
as individuals who bridge these network subgroups) to be socially
ostracized for associating with other groups.

If anyone can point me in the direction of existing research (in any field)
that sheds light on this sort of effect, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time,
Michele Barnes-Mauthe

Michele Barnes-Mauthe
Research Assistant, PhD Candidate
Joint Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Research
Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Management
University of Hawaii at Manoa

Interested in marine resource management? Check out our new publications on
ethnic diversity and social network structure in Hawaii's longline fishery
here: http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol18/iss1/art23/, the global
economic value of shark ecotourism here:
http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=8956430
, and the total economic value of small-scale fisheries and their
contribution to sustainable livelihoods here:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0165783613001537