Janet,
The classic work is Holland and Leinhardt 1973
(http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/0022250X.1973.9989825#.VFkgIvldV8E).
I would follow citation chains forward from that.

Sincerely,
Nathaniel Porter
Department of Sociology, The Pennsylvania State University
<http://www.sociology.psu.edu>
Research Associate, The Association of Religion Data Archives
<http://www.thearda.com>