Dear SOCNET:

My research group is having an internal debate about how to interpret the geometrically weighted degree parameter for ERGM models, as implemented in Statnet.  If anybody has a good paper or presentation discussing interpretation (beyond the various papers introducing the calculation and estimation), I would love to know about them.

In particular, is GWDEGREE an anti-preferential attachment term such that a positive coefficient produces a low variance degree distribution, or does a positive coefficient produce a high variance degree distribution with a centralized network?  And if you have a low variance degree distribution....what is the best way to think about the social processes generating a decentralized network?

Thanks, Mark Lubell
UC Davis