Mark,

There is an explanation for this term that is essentially what Martina wrote in my book:

McCulloh, I., Armstrong, H., & Johnson, A.N. (2013) Social Network Analysis With Applications.  Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.

In Chapter 4, I lay out six social forces that contribute to tie formation and the references that support them.  Each of these forces have supporting terms in an ergm that allow you to test for the presence and significance of these social forces in a particular network.

I don't think the explanation in my book will add anything to what Martina explained, but if you are looking for a reference, it is in there.

Regards,

Ian

Ian McCulloh