Hey Julia,

I would strongly suggest looking at Scott Hale’s SigmaJS Exporter plugin for Gephi - you need version 0.8.2 in order to use it, but it’s a really great visualization that does exactly what you’re talking about, granted you have the data in a format that can be imported into Gephi:

https://marketplace.gephi.org/plugin/sigmajs-exporter/ <https://marketplace.gephi.org/plugin/sigmajs-exporter/>