Aloha SOCNET community,

I am looking for existing research indicating that in some cases, bridging and/or brokerage may cause economic disadvantages for individuals, particularly when or if there are strong network subgroups which may "penalize" brokers for associating with other groups.

I am very familiar with Burt's work on brokerage, but my primary takeaway from it is that occupying brokerage positions is thought to be a source of social capital expected to generate benefits. I am looking for theoretical and/or empirical evidence that suggests the opposite - i.e., people who broker are significantly less productive (economically), particularly when/if there are strong network subgroups that may cause brokers (defined as individuals who bridge these network subgroups) to be socially ostracized for associating with other groups.

If anyone can point me in the direction of existing research (in any field) that sheds light on this sort of effect, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time,
Michele Barnes-Mauthe

Michele Barnes-Mauthe
Research Assistant, PhD Candidate
Joint Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Research
Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Management
University of Hawaii at Manoa

Interested in marine resource management? Check out our new publications on ethnic diversity and social network structure in Hawaii's longline fishery here: http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol18/iss1/art23/, the global economic value of shark ecotourism herehttp://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=8956430and the total economic value of small-scale fisheries and their contribution to sustainable livelihoods here: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0165783613001537