Is the viewer the researcher who is exploring the data, or a viewer with
whom the researcher wants to communicate? I assume you mean the latter, in
which case go with something in javascript: for that, viewers don't have to
download any special software, they can just view things embedded in a web
page.

I'd second SigmaJS that Devin mentioned (although I know Devin and Scott so
it's not an independent recommendation): it has the advantage of being a
plugin to a tool, Gephi, that is pretty versatile for exploratory analysis
as well. Also check out examples of it at
http://blogs.oii.ox.ac.uk/vis/?p=162.

The javascript visualization library d3 also does networks (
http://flowingdata.com/2012/08/02/how-to-make-an-interactive-network-visualization/
, http://christophergandrud.github.io/d3Network/)—d3 is increasingly
popular and hence there's a lot online for how to customize your
visualization or accomplish certain tasks (one commonly used
implementation, from the second link, allows dragging around nodes, really
fun and impressive even if of questionable usefulness), but it will require
*way* more work to set up.

I feel like I've seen automatic, dynamic re-centering somewhere else as
well (which I like), but I can only find
http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/the-middle-east-key-players-notable-relationships/,
although
I'm not a fan of the elbow lines or shaking there, and unfortunately the
thing that made it, VizSweet, hasn't yet been released.