Thank you everyone for your detailed responses and suggestions. Many of you contacted me off list, and some asked for a reference list once I have heard from everyone (it seems this is a topic of interest for many!). I am pulling all of these references together now and will post it within the week, in case more of you are interested.

Thanks again - this was my first time posting a query to the list and I am thoroughly impressed and very grateful for the collective insight.

Aloha,
Michele

Michele Barnes-Mauthe
Research Assistant, PhD Candidate
Joint Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Research
Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Management
University of Hawaii at Manoa

Interested in marine resource management? Check out our new publications on ethnic diversity and social network structure in Hawaii's longline fishery here: http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol18/iss1/art23/, the global economic value of shark ecotourism herehttp://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=8956430and the total economic value of small-scale fisheries and their contribution to sustainable livelihoods here: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0165783613001537