Hi everyone,

I have 4 things:

1.      To prepare for Graduate Student Research Day or for conferences (in general), we have a workshop scheduled THIS TUESDAY (TOMORROW) on “How to Give an Effective Poster Presentation” by Dr. Diana Karol Nagy in the UF Dial Writing Center from 4 – 5pm in the DeWeese Auditorium in the McKnight Brain Institute.

To register, log into GIMS and follow the steps below.

  1. Login to GIMS using your GatorLink ID and Password: http://gradschool.ufl.edu/gimsportal/gatorlink/portal.asp
  2. Once you login, on the top of the page click on the “Workshops” tab
  3. Under “Register” click the box and then “Submit”
  4. After you complete this process, you will receive an email confirmation.

2.      The Center for Latin American Studies at the University of Florida is partnering with the Embassy of Ecuador in the United States to bring you the Día de Ecuador/Day of Ecuador on THIS WEDNESDAY, October 14, 2015 at Emerson Alumni Hall on the campus of the University of Florida in Gainesville. The day-long event will begin at 9:30 am with an introduction by Ecuador's Ambassador to the United States, Amb. Francisco Borja Cevallos. Academic panels focused on the theme of "Agriculture, Development, and the Environment" will feature presentations by distinguished academics and policy-makers from Ecuador and UF.  For more information and to reserve your seat please visit here.

3.      There are speed reading webinars that you can register for FREE.  There is one for THIS THURSDAY, October 15th on “Memory Techniques: How To Remember What You Read” from 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM.  To register for this webinar and any other webinars from the series, please click here:  http://www.irisreading.com/school/?school_name=UFL

4.      I wanted to also make you aware of a workshop/discussion about the Three Minute Thesis (3MT) competition this Friday.  The competition occurs in the spring, but it is never too late to get a head start.  There is no registration currently set up, so feel free to attend if you like.  I will lead this presentation THIS FRIDAY, October 16th from 10:00 – 10:40am in the Cancer and Genetics Institute building.  We will start in CGRC 133, but move to CGRC 101 (the auditorium of the Cancer and Genetics Institute) if we get too large in number.  I hope you will join me and learn more about the competition as well as tips to prepare for next semester.

Thanks and have a great day!

Kindest Regards,

Katie Indarawis, PhD

University of Florida