The UF Black Graduate Student Organization (BGSO) would like to invite you to attend our last events of the semester being held this Thursday at the Institute of Black Culture (IBC) beginning at 6pm.  Event description and times are below.

Graduate Research Impact Series:

At 6:00pm, Justin Hoseby, M.A. will present a presentation on "The Delectability of Black Death in Post-Katrina, New Orleans" for our monthly Graduate Research Impact Series. Mr. Hoseby's presentation will explore how the black social life and black expressive culture (music, poetry, dance, art, etc.) of New Orleans natives have been affected by hurricane Katrina. Post-Katrina New Orleans is a place where Black people-their culture, their genius, and their pain- are ravenously consumed. A place of festive gatherings around racialized Black flesh- disaster tourists in the 21st century can consume scenes of the eradication of Black life from the Lower 9th Ward, and then catch a brass band on Frenchman Street to consume Black expressive culture the same night. Mr. Hoseby will be employing ethnography (participant observations and interviews) to better understand what daily life is like for black New Orleans natives Post-Katrina. Additionally, he utilized spatial analysis to create maps that visualize how neighborhoods have transformed since hurricane Katrina.

General Body Event:

We cordially invite you to stay after our Impact Series to attend a "Battle of the Sexes: Trivia Night" on Thursday, November 19th at 6:30pm. Join us for an interactive opportunity to take a break from your busy semester and engage in a fun trivia night with questions based on knowledge of the opposite sex. Food will be provided and prizes will be given to the winners! After the meeting, we will be creating care packages to pass out to the homeless at Grace Marketplace over the Thanksgiving holiday.

BGSO Executive Board

[cid:[log in to unmask]]

[cid:[log in to unmask]]