MEMORANDUM

Date:     January 30, 2015

To:          All UF Department Chairs, Graduate Coordinators and Staff

Cc:          All Graduate Deans and Associate Deans

From:   Tyisha Hathorn, PhD

                Associate Director, Office of Graduate Minority Programs

Re:         2015-2016 McKnight Doctoral Fellowship (MDF) Process

Beginning February 2, 2015, the Office of Graduate Minority Programs will be able to review UF’s McKnight Doctoral Fellowship applications. For you to view the full applications online, you will need to log on to the FEF secure applicant web site at https://www.fefonline.org/mdf and enter a general password followed by our university’s password.  Log in information will be hand-delivered February 4-6, 2015 to Graduate Coordinators, who have McKnight applicants.  If your unit does not receive the information by the end of the day on February 6, 2015, please contact our office.

After reviewing the files for your unit, we will need to receive your decision by February 20, 2015 on whether you plan to admit the applicant(s) to your Ph.D. program. For the applicants your unit plans to admit please complete the agreement form detailing the departmental support that will be given to the student (pg. 2 of agreement).  Please contact the Office of Graduate Minority Programs at [log in to unmask] to provide us with this information.  Those MDF applicants who are admitted to your program will be forwarded to FEF to compete statewide for the fellowships with students from other doctoral programs.  A selection committee will be convened later this spring by the Florida Education Fund for this purpose.  Once the selections are made, we will notify the academic units. There is no need, however, to hold off on making offers to your recruits while waiting to hear from us. I encourage you to make offers to qualified URMs based on your existing resources.

As you are aware, many of the URM students you would like to admit to your PhD Programs will receive offers from outside the state. For UF to have the best opportunity to enroll them, your academic unit will need to seal the deal by making timely (not waiting to hear from McKnight) and competitive offers.

This also is a good time for you to review the “Points of Understanding” regarding the responsibilities of academic units to the MDF program.  Of special note is the responsibility of the department to pay a portion of the fellows’ stipend and tuition in the fifth yearIn order to maintain security of applicant social security numbers, dates of birth, transcripts, and other personal information. PLEASE DO NOT, AT ANY TIME:
1.	Share the passwords with anyone
2.	Send, post, or transfer either of the passwords listed below electronically via email, test, listserv or any other digital means; or
3.	Include either of the passwords listed below in a document, letter or memorandum that also includes the MDF applications website address.
In order to maintain security of applicant social security numbers, dates of birth, transcripts, and other personal information. PLEASE DO NOT, AT ANY TIME:
4.	Share the passwords with anyone
5.	Send, post, or transfer either of the passwords listed below electronically via email, test, listserv or any other digital means; or
6.	Include either of the passwords listed below in a document, letter or memorandum that also includes the MDF applications website address.
.  If we can assist in any way please contact our office at 352-392-6444.  I can be reached at [log in to unmask]

Please click on these links for each of these documents, mentioned above:

McKnight Doctoral Fellowship Department Agreement Form: http://graduateschool.ufl.edu/files/mcknight-agreement.pdf

McKnight Points of Understanding: http://graduateschool.ufl.edu/files/mcknight-points.pdf

Thank you for your cooperation.