Ok, I hope I'm replying to the correct place here.

You bring up a good point and at our tutor center "proper" we would need
them to select a section and reason as well but I am mainly wanting a card
reader for our math lab. All we need from students there is the student ID
because it's more of a "problem checking" type of tutoring and we need to
see every student a particular tutor works with. Since it moves fairly
quickly the act of logging in/out of TutorTrac on a computer every time a
student has a question would be a huge pain. We need to document what major
a student has that the tutor works with so we know whether to pay the tutor
out of Perkins funds or from somewhere else. A simple swipe for in/out
would be optimal.

I have contacted TutorTrac and they said they don't sell an ID scanner or
recommend any in particular.

~Allison

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 12:22 PM, Jered Wasburn-Moses <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> We have looked into them (using TutorTrac). How useful it will be depends
> on your login procedure.
>
> If the only information a student needs to provide is an id/login, then
> the card readers are pretty useful. (If you're already using a tutor
> management system like TutorTrac, AccuTrack, etc., talk to the publishers
> about specific models.)
>
> However, we have students select a section, reason for visit, etc. when
> they log in. Thus, a swipe would bypass only one of the three-ish steps in
> the process. We decided it wouldn't be much of an efficiency gain, so we
> tabled it.
>
> Jered Wasburn-Moses
> Math Center Coordinator
> Success Skills Coordinator