Danna,

CRLA's /Handbook for Training Peer Tutors and Mentors/ includes several
training modules on goal setting.  If you're working with tutors to set
goals for sessions with students, consider these two modules:
* Clarifying Goals for a Tutoring Session (by Mark S. May and Jacqueline
Harris)
* Setting Goals for the Tutoring Session: Evaluating Tutees' Needs (by
Monique Idoux)

If you want tutors to help their student clients to set goals, consider
this module:
* Setting Goals (by Patricia Fullmer)

In addition, all four of these tutor/mentor-training modules on
self-regulated learning incorporate goals as essential to effective
learning:
* Executive Functions and Self-Regulated Learning (by Anna Z. Crockett)
* Self-Regulated Learning: A Scenarios Approach to Training (by Janice
B. Heerspink and Thea J. Brophy)
* The Self-Regulated Learning Workshop as a Training Tool (by Mark F.
Daddona)
* Self-Regulated Learning: Rewards and Consequences (by Patricia Fullmer)

Each of these modules provides the underlying theoretical framework, a
training activity, and an assessment activity for determining how well
tutors are learning or utilizing the training you provide.  The handbook
is available from Cengage Brain at
http://www.crla.net/index.php/publications/handbook-for-training-peer-tutors-mentors.
(The book is also available through Amazon and Barnes & Noble, of
course, but is less expensive at Cengage Brain.)

Karen

Karen Agee
Reading and Learning Coordinator Emerita
University of Northern Iowa