From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jered Wasburn-Moses
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2015 1:21 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Tutoring for students not enrolled in relevant courses?

In general, we will not do this.

First, there is a philosophical objection: tutoring is provided as a support to instruction, not a replacement of it. Tutors are not qualified instructors, and our training techniques are aimed at this support. Really, we should not be asking students to teach a subject for $10/hour or whatever.

Second, as a practical concern: we have had quite a bit of trouble over the past few years with students taking certain courses at other institutions, often online, because they have trouble passing them here. They then ask us to support the instruction offered by some other institution! Of course this is unfair in terms of resources--if you're taking a course at College Y then College Y should be responsible for supporting that course, period.

But it's also unfair to tutors. We specifically offer that our tutors (usually) have taken the course at our university, precisely so that they have a general understanding of the expectations and requirements of that course here. We have no way of knowing the expectations of another institution, and that hampers our ability to support their instruction even if we wanted to.

Jered Wasburn-Moses
Math Center Coordinator
Success Skills Coordinator
Learning Assistance Programs