Another option for private tutoring is Tutor Matching Service (www.tutormatchingservice.com). We have been using TMS since fall 2010 had have been very pleased with their service, which is free. Most of the tutoring at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) is free through departmental provided tutoring. TMS has allowed for private tutors  to be listed for courses without departmental tutoring. Our learning center does not generate funds through private tutors. However, TMS can work with schools to mark up their tutors' prices to help cover other learning center and budget needs.  Again, our learning center does not do this, but it is an option available provided by TMS.

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nick Carbone
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2014 3:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Generating Revenue

Another option, as well as the good ideas on fees for services (which can be offered to off campus folk, staff, and others besides students over time), might be to partner with an academic unit -- college success, a writing program -- on a custom publication of a textbook or of course materials essential to doing well in college or in a required course.
Usually that means drafting unique material, either to supplement an existing text or to create your own.

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 4:08 PM, Vicki L Dominick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Happy Friday!
>

> I have a question that I have been wrestling with the past several
> weeks that I hope some of you can help me with. Due to the reduction
> of financial support from the state, all units at my institution are
> being asked to find ways to generate revenue to fund their
> departments. I am really having a hard time imagining how to do this
> because it seems to be in opposition to what I expect at a public
> university. Some of the ideas I have come up with would take time and
> money to get off the ground and would take away from our central
> mission. Demand for our services is higher than ever and I can't cut anything else from my budget.
>

> What ways have your programs generated funding?
>

> Thank you,
>

> Vicki Dominick, MSEd
> Associate Director for Learning Services
>
> Learning Services
> Counseling & Psychological Services
> George Mason University
> Student Union Building I, Room 3129
> 4400 University Drive, MS 2A2
> Fairfax, VA 22030
> (703)993-2380
>

> Email is not a secure form of communication.  Information and
> confidentiality cannot be guaranteed.  Email is not a suitable forum
> for communication of emergencies or crisis situations.  If you are
> experiencing a crisis you may call CAPS at 703-993-2380 or if it is
> after normal business hours call 911 or GMU police at 703-993-2810.

nick.carbone at gmail dot com
http://ncarbone.blogspot.com