From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Barton E Price
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2015 12:16 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Hiring grad student with GPA under 3.0

Colleagues

We have a graduate student who is interested in applying to be a tutor. The applicant's GPA is below 3.0. While I know that this is a professional standard,  I am curious whether any have made exceptions based on individual academic record.

The current GPA is based on the applicant's first semester in graduate school (two courses). The student's undergraduate record--also at our school--shows strong performance in his/her major. If hired, the student would tutor in his/her major and field of graduate study.

I appreciate your feedback on this matter.

Sincerely,

Barton Price