I agree that it would not be a good idea.  At Clemson, 3.0 is the minimum GPA for a graduate student to be in good academic standing, so here he/she would be considered to be on academic probation.   The student needs to focus on his/her graduate work.
Elaine

M. Elaine Richardson, PhD
Professor and Director Emerita
Academic Success Center