From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Barton E Price
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2015 5:07 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Hiring grad student with GPA under 3.0

Thank you to all who have responded. I talked with our director of graduate studies,  who also advised that it was not a wise choice.

My earliest reaction to the applicant's GPA was not to hire the student. I then explored the undergraduate transcript to see how he/she had performed. I wanted to poll the collective wisdom to make certain that my decision was in line with the consensus of the profession. That consensus along with the graduate studies director's decision gave me enough rationale in case the referring professor challenges the decision.

Best,

Barton Price,  Ph.D.
Director of the Centers for Academic Success and Achievement ipfw.edu/casa