From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Barton E Price
Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2015 12:14 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Hiring as a tutor - a grad student with GPA under 3.0

I respect the advice from Saundra McGuire and Rick Sheets on this matter. Certainly, people who have been in the field much longer than I have a better understanding of the nuances these things. I agree that the individual's academic record in his or her chosen field of study is more telling of aptitude in that discipline and probability of making a good tutor.

Again, the decision from our graduate studies director is the most definitive at the local level. I will rest our department's decision on that judgment.

I appreciate the feedback and the opportunity to participate in this professional forum.

With gratitude,

Barton Price, Ph.D.
Director of the Centers for Academic Success and Achievement ipfw.edu/casa