Greetings Colleagues,

Students ability to read well is a foundational academic skill.  This short article features a technique that I've developed and have been using for a few years.  It has been crazy effective at improving students' interest in reading and ability to read well.

Preview:

You've undoubtedly seen one of the many versions of the Think Global, Act Local bumper stickers. The tagline is a crafty rallying cry that reminds people to consider the health of the entire planet, but to take action in their communities. The simple slogan is brilliant, as it communicates a problem that can seem overwhelming in an empowering way. It's convincing message that there's a huge planet out there that you personally can affect from your local community arouses a "can do" spirit within us.

For many students, reading textbooks or complex texts can be completely overwhelming. They often don't know how to start and seldom have the proper metrics in mind to determine whether they actually comprehend the text their eyes are encountering. I've trained our tutors to use the concept of thinking globally and acting locally as a way of helping students organize and process texts. This relatively simple adjustment of the mind has produced astounding results!

Below are the top three benefits according to students, along with my commentary on the cognitive experiences that underlie their description...

Click the following link to continue: http://www.thelearnwellprojects.com/thewell/

I would enjoy feedback from those who have used this technique with your students and those who simply find it interesting. You can post your comments on the blog below the article.

Have a great week!

Leonard Geddes, MA
Associate Dean of Co-Curricular Programs
Director of the Lohr Learning Commons
(828) 328-7024
www.lr.edu<http://www.lr.edu>
Personal Blog: www.thelearnwellprojects.com/thewell<http://www.thelearnwellprojects.com/thewell>