You might be interested in this:

http://benjaminstokes.net/digra-networks-paper/

http://benjaminstokes.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/StokesWatsonFullertonWiscombe2013Reality-Game-To-Foster-Networks_conf-final21.pdf

*A Reality Game to Cross Disciplines? Building Human Capital, Passion and
Offline Networks with Reality Ends Here.* *By Benjamin Stokes, Jeff Watson,
Tracy Fullerton and Simon Wiscombe.*

*ABSTRACT:* Educational and civic games are typically preparatory, teaching
skills and information to be applied later. Yet the rise of reality gaming
introduces a new possibility: that the game directly shapes real-world
networks, even as it educates. Social capital and network effects -- despite
their complexity -- are crucial in educational attainment, knowledge
transfer, and civic participation. However, there is little research on how
games can actively intervene to build lasting networks and social capital
as a core component of gameplay.

Using methods of network analysis, this paper investigates the "Reality
Ends Here" game <http://reality.usc.edu/about/> over two years at a
University in the United States. Reality Ends Here is played by incoming
freshmen for 120 days in the fall semester of each school year. Students
are drawn into the game via collectible cards, rumors, secret websites, and
a mysterious black flag. The goal of the game is to increase and diversify
student collaboration across disciplines, build social capital, and foster
networking skills. The game is deliberately kept underground and
unofficial, a rare design requirement in formal education.

The contribution of this paper is to demonstrate a framework for designing
learning interventions around network effects, and measuring them with
network analysis. Currently, network analysis is typically applied only to
test game prototypes before scaling to wider distribution, or as heat maps
for usability testing, or to measure game impact. We argue that network
analysis may offer more value in a formative mode, providing what game
designers refer to as "state information," and integrating into the
real-time practices of teachers. For example, we demonstrate how a player's
network centrality is correlated to their score in the game, and thus how
well game performance is tied to network strength.

The game itself is part of a broader educational reform agenda for college
freshmen. By connecting students to one another in ways that are both
serendipitous and structured to maximize meaningful play and performance,
the game seeks to help transform heavily siloed academic divisions into a
productively chaotic and interdisciplinary community of practice. We
analyze how disciplinary networks (i.e., academic majors) manifest in the
game, and how overcoming them can be predictive of success in the game.

This paper analyzes how peer-to-peer learning and community-building can be
structured as a real-world game, rewarding the development of the kinds of
practices that are useful for collective organizing and meaningful
participation. Additionally, this paper will help build theory for a more
formative use of network analysis in game deployments. The immediate
context is higher education, but the lessons are applicable to informal
learning and civic education. Experiential learning is fundamental to
building educational and civic habits; with this paper, the field will have
a better basis for applying network analysis to optimize real-world games
that build networks and social capital.

---

Alexander Leavitt
PhD Candidate
USC Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism
http://alexleavitt.com
Twitter: @alexleavitt <http://twitter.com/alexleavitt>