Jen, you can do this with ergm -- there are instructions and examples in
the ergm tutorial online here:

http://statnet.csde.washington.edu/workshops/SUNBELT/current/ergm/ergm_tutorial.html

We are also going to be releasing a package soon written by Pavel
Krivitsky called "ergm.ego" that will automate many of the common tasks,
and provide statistical inference for testing models.

best,
Martina

On Tue, 30 Dec 2014, Jen Badham wrote:

> Hello all
>

> A colleague has asked for some assistance to construct a network from some data she has already collected. There are
> about 400 respondents who were asked about their relationships. About 2000 alters were named and ego provided descriptive
> information about the alters but were not asked about alter to alter relationships. However, about 20 of the alters were
> also respondents so there are a few small chains. I could use the data to get some information such as degree
> distribution and (approximate) transitivity and then construct networks with those properties but I am not sure this
> would use all the information that is likely contained in the data.
>

> I am rather hoping that there is a standard method to construct an appropriate network from this type of data. My
> research is fairly theoretical, so I am not particularly familiar with even standard approaches of dealing with network
> data. Is there such a methodology and could anyone provide a reference and/or let me know if there¢s a software tool that
> can do it?
>

> Thanks for your help, Jen
>

> ______________________
>

> Dr Jennifer Badham
>
> Research Fellow, TELL ME
>
> CRESS, University of Surrey
>

> _____________________________________________________________________ SOCNET is a service of INSNA, the professional
> [log in to unmask] containing the line UNSUBSCRIBE SOCNET in the body of the message.

  Professor of Sociology and Statistics
  Director, UWCFAR Sociobehavioral and Prevention Research Core
  Box 354322
  University of Washington
  Seattle, WA 98195-4322

  Office:        (206) 685-3402