Dear SOCNET Members

I am using ORA Software (see McCulloh, Armstrong and Johnson's book "Social Network Analysis With Applications", or http://www.casos.cs.cmu.edu/projects/ora/index.php).

I input a 6-node, star network.

I ask for eigenvector centrality scores for all vertices.

Given the general description of what eigenvector centrality does, I expect the peripheral vertices to have high scores, and the central vertex to have a lower score.

The results are as follows:

Central vertex: -1.0

All other vertices: -0.4472136

My questions:

Why are the results negative?

Why does the central vertex have a higher absolute value (should the absolute values even be considered)?

Are the results at all interpretable in terms of eigenvector centrality; and, if so, how?

I am grateful for any assistance in resolving this conundrum.

Ion Georgiou

Dr. Phokion ‘Ion’ Georgiou

Full Professor / Professor TitularFundação Getulio Vargas (AACSB-EQUIS-AMBA accredited)

https://sites.google.com/site/iongeorgiou/