The Athletics Department, TRiO, EOP, and other programs contract with us to provide individual tutoring for their students.  The student may submit a request for any undergraduate course offered at UC Davis.  They are allowed to submit requests until the end of the fifth week of the quarter.  (Quarters are 10 weeks long).  We first check whether any of our 200+ currently working tutors can tutor the subject requested.  If not, we send a recruitment email to students who earned a high grade in the class the last time it was offered.  It generally takes two weeks to recruit, interview, hire, schedule, and provide 3.5 hours of paid new tutor training.  The contracting program pays all of the tutor's wages plus an administrative fee toward our HR costs.  In Fall 2014 we employed about 230 tutors, scheduled weekly/biweekly tutoring for about 350 students in over 100 different subjects, and failed to fulfill fewer than ten requests.

We also staff drop-in tutoring rooms, available to all students, where we offer tutoring in high demand subjects.

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Russell, Robert A.
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 8:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Course/subjects with no available tutors/resources

When a student requests help in a course that isnıt on our ³menu,² the first thing we do is send a message to all tutors to see if we can ID anyone on staff who has taken the course and feels comfortable/capable tutoring in that area.

If that fails to get a workable response, I inform the student that, if they want, I will contact the instructor or department/advisor and try to locate a tutor. They can either pay the tutor privately or, if through the instructor and student we can increase interest to a significant level
(4-5 interested students) we will hire/pay the tutor (if they are qualified).

We have maybe 2-3 situations like this each term, and some of our best tutors have come to us this way!

Rob

--

Robert A. Russell
Director, Center for Academic AchievementEast Tennessee State University

Go Green! Please do not print this e-mail unless it is completely necessary.