Hi Dr. Heiden,

Both are great questions! I am sure Dr. Rick Sheets will be adding to this
thread, but in the mean time I will share my knowledge based on a report I
conducted as part of my Masters degree at Texas State University.

It is my opinion to strive for the highest level of certification that is
applicable. Upon the initial submission of a completed application there
is a 1 year review. Once that initial review is completed and approved the
certification is valid for a 5 year period, before recertification is
required. The reason I would vouch for the highest level initially is once
a different level is selected the entire process starts over.

That being said, in order to apply for a level 3 (for example) the program
would need to satisfy all the requirements for Levels 1, 2 and 3 at the
initial application stage.

Hope that is helpful!

Luann Walker
Graduate Student; Learning Support