When a student requests help in a course that isnıt on our ³menu,² the
first thing we do is send a message to all tutors to see if we can ID
anyone on staff who has taken the course and feels comfortable/capable
tutoring in that area.

If that fails to get a workable response, I inform the student that, if
they want, I will contact the instructor or department/advisor and try to
locate a tutor. They can either pay the tutor privately or, if through the
instructor and student we can increase interest to a significant level
(4-5 interested students) we will hire/pay the tutor (if they are
qualified).

We have maybe 2-3 situations like this each term, and some of our best
tutors have come to us this way!

Rob

--

Robert A. Russell
Director, Center for Academic AchievementEast Tennessee State University

Go Green! Please do not print this e-mail unless it is completely
necessary.