The School of Sociology at University College Dublin (UCD) in collaboration
with the Department of Sociology at Trinity College Dublin (TCD) would like
to invite you to a public lecture,

Social Networks and Economic Activities: An Embedded Economy Perspective,

by Professor Nan Lin of Duke University.

J.M. Synge Theatre, Arts Building, Trinity College Dublin Tuesday, April
28, 2015 at 7:00 PM

Abstract:

The significance of social networks for economic activities has received
much research attention since Granovetter’s (1985) embeddedness argument.
Yet, most research has been conducted in economic and business settings,
suggesting that the significance of social networks for economy is
meaningful only within the context of economy and business. I argue that
social networks in fact present a context that facilitate and promote
economic activities. Historically we have seen how ethnic and familial ties
afford the formation of institutions such as trust that promoted trades in
Europe, Africa and Asia. This social networks-embedding-economy phenomenon
persists to the present day. Further, there is strong evidence that such
embedding social networks can be constructed and sustained beyond
ethnicity, family and location to dictate economic activities. Online
cybernetworks (e.g., Facebook) are examples. I will discuss the
implications of this social-network-embedding-economy perspective for
theory, research and strategic actions.

Please register your interest here:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/social-networks-and-economic-activities-an-embedded-economy-perspective-tickets-15744565419

--
Dr Diane Payne

Head of School,
UCD School of Sociology,
University College Dublin.
www.ucd.ie/sociology <http://www.ucd.ie/sociology/index.html>
Tel: 00 353 1 7168561

Director,
Dynamics Lab,
UCD Geary Institute.
dl.ucd.ie
Tel: 00 353 1 7164627

CSCS PhD Director
Thematic PhD in Complex Systems and Computational Social Science
http://www.ucd.ie/geary/postgraduatetraining/cscs/
<http://www.ucd.ie/graduatestudies/coursefinder/taughtprogrammes/phd-complex-systems/>