Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 16:49:56 -0600
From: Complexity Digest Administration <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [comdig] Latest Complexity Digest Posts

Learn about the latest and greatest related to complex systems research. More at http://comdig.unam.mx

Citizen CyberScience ˙˙ New Directions and Opportunities for Human Computation

    ˙˙There are already hundreds of thousands of people actively contributing to citizen cyberscience - we want to reach tens of millions.˙˙ ˙˙ Francois Grey, Citizen Cyberscience Centre Coordinator
˙˙Citizen Cyberscience offers people around the world the opportunity to contribute to cutting- edge scientific research that may be of fundamental significance, as well as having applications relevant to their own lives.˙˙ ˙˙ John Ellis, CERN and James Clerk Maxwell Professor of Theoretical Physics at Kings College London
˙˙Citizen Cyberscience has great potential not only for scientific researchers, but also for those working in the humanities and cultural heritage.˙˙ ˙˙ Mark Hedges, Deputy Director of the Centre for e-Research at King˙˙s College London
˙˙The power of the Internet and the growing public availability of scientific and other data have made possible the involvement of a wide variety of communities and citizens in a range of activities that... break new ground in public awareness and direct participation in important areas of scientific research.˙˙ ˙˙ Professor John Darlington, Director of the London e-Science Centre

Citizen CyberScience ˙˙ New Directions and Opportunities for Human Computation
GREG NEWMAN

Human Computation (2014) 1:2:103-109  2014, Newman. CC-BY-3.0 ISSN: 2330-8001, DOI: 10.15346/hc.v1i2.2

See it on Scoop.it (http://www.scoop.it/t/papers/p/4038533584/2015/03/07/citizen-cyberscience-new-directions-and-opportunities-for-human-computation) , via Papers (http://www.scoop.it/t/papers)

Atlas of Knowledge: Anyone Can Map

    In an age of information overload, the ability to make sense of vast amounts of data and to render insightful visualizations is as important as the ability to read and write. The Atlas of Knowledge explains and exemplifies the power of visualizations not only to help locate us in physical space but also to help us understand the extent and structure of our collective knowledge, to identify bursts of activity, pathways of ideas, and borders that beg to be crossed.

Atlas of Knowledge: Anyone Can Map
by Katy Börner

http://scimaps.org/atlas2
Complexity Digest's insight:

See Also Information Visualization MOOC (http://ivmooc.cns.iu.edu ).

See it on Scoop.it (http://www.scoop.it/t/cxbooks/p/4038528674/2015/03/05/atlas-of-knowledge-anyone-can-map) , via CxBooks (http://www.scoop.it/t/cxbooks)

Measuring Online Social Bubbles

    Social media have quickly become a prevalent channel to access information, spread ideas, and influence opinions. However, it has been suggested that social and algorithmic filtering may cause exposure to less diverse points of view, and even foster polarization and misinformation. Here we explore and validate this hypothesis quantitatively for the first time, at the collective and individual levels, by mining three massive datasets of web traffic, search logs, and Twitter posts. Our analysis shows that collectively, people access information from a significantly narrower spectrum of sources through social media and email, compared to search. The significance of this finding for individual exposure is revealed by investigating the relationship between the diversity of information sources experienced by users at the collective and individual level. There is a strong correlation between collective and individual diversity, supporting the notion that when we use social media we
find ourselves inside "social bubbles". Our results could lead to a deeper understanding of how technology biases our exposure to new information.

Measuring Online Social Bubbles
Dimitar Nikolov, Diego F. M. Oliveira, Alessandro Flammini, Filippo Menczer

http://arxiv.org/abs/1502.07162

See it on Scoop.it (http://www.scoop.it/t/papers/p/4038340319/2015/03/04/measuring-online-social-bubbles) , via Papers (http://www.scoop.it/t/papers)

Information flow through a model of the C. elegans klinotaxis circuit

    Understanding how information about external stimuli is transformed into behavior is one of the central goals of neuroscience. Here we characterize the information flow through a complete sensorimotor circuit: from stimulus, to sensory neurons, to interneurons, to motor neurons, to muscles, to motion. Specifically, we apply a recently developed framework for quantifying information flow to a previously published ensemble of models of salt klinotaxis in the nematode worm C. elegans. The models are grounded in the neuroanatomy and currently known neurophysiology of the worm. The unknown model parameters were optimized to reproduce the worm's behavior. Information flow analysis reveals several key principles underlying how the models operate: (1) Interneuron class AIY is responsible for integrating information about positive and negative changes in concentration, and exhibits a strong left/right information asymmetry. (2) Gap junctions play a crucial role in the transfer of
information responsible for the information symmetry observed in interneuron class AIZ. (3) Neck motor neuron class SMB implements an information gating mechanism that underlies the circuit's state-dependent response. (4) The neck carries non-uniform distribution about changes in concentration. Thus, not all directions of movement are equally informative. Each of these findings corresponds to an experimental prediction that could be tested in the worm to greatly refine our understanding of the neural circuit underlying klinotaxis. Information flow analysis also allows us to explore how information flow relates to underlying electrophysiology. Despite large variations in the neural parameters of individual circuits, the overall information flow architecture circuit is remarkably consistent across the ensemble, suggesting that information flow analysis captures general principles of operation for the klinotaxis circuit.

"Information flow through a model of the C. elegans klinotaxis circuit"
Eduardo J. Izquierdo, Paul L. Williams, Randall D. Beer
arXiv:1502.04262, 2015
http://arxiv.org/abs/1502.04262

See it on Scoop.it (http://www.scoop.it/t/papers/p/4038262238/2015/03/03/information-flow-through-a-model-of-the-c-elegans-klinotaxis-circuit) , via Papers (http://www.scoop.it/t/papers)

Knowledge-Based Trust: Estimating the Trustworthiness of Web Sources

    The quality of web sources has been traditionally evaluated using exogenous signals such as the hyperlink structure of the graph. We propose a new approach that relies on endogenous signals, namely, the correctness of factual information provided by the source. A source that has few false facts is considered to be trustworthy. The facts are automatically extracted from each source by information extraction methods commonly used to construct knowledge bases. We propose a way to distinguish errors made in the extraction process from factual errors in the web source per se, by using joint inference in a novel multi-layer probabilistic model. We call the trustworthiness score we computed Knowledge-Based Trust (KBT). On synthetic data, we show that our method can reliably compute the true trustworthiness levels of the sources. We then apply it to a database of 2.8B facts extracted from the web, and thereby estimate the trustworthiness of 119M webpages. Manual evaluation of a
subset of the results confirms the effectiveness of the method.

Knowledge-Based Trust: Estimating the Trustworthiness of Web Sources
Xin Luna Dong, Evgeniy Gabrilovich, Kevin Murphy, Van Dang, Wilko Horn, Camillo Lugaresi, Shaohua Sun, Wei Zhang

http://arxiv.org/abs/1502.03519v1

See it on Scoop.it (http://www.scoop.it/t/papers/p/4038255121/2015/03/03/knowledge-based-trust-estimating-the-trustworthiness-of-web-sources) , via Papers (http://www.scoop.it/t/papers)

Why Information Grows: The Evolution of Order, from Atoms to Economies: Cesar Hidalgo

    Why Information Grows: The Evolution of Order, from Atoms to Economies [Cesar Hidalgo] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. What is economic growth? And why, historically, has it occurred in only a few places? Previous efforts to answer these questions have focused on institutions

See it on Scoop.it (http://www.scoop.it/t/cxbooks/p/4038353969/2015/03/03/why-information-grows-the-evolution-of-order-from-atoms-to-economies-cesar-hidalgo) , via CxBooks (http://www.scoop.it/t/cxbooks)

Symposium and workshop on social network analysis - SFECA2015

    Symposium and workshop on social network analysis - SFECA2015

We organised a french symposium and workshop on social network analysis in animal societies for the french congress for the study of animal behaviour - SFECA2015. information can be found on the websiste

See it on Scoop.it (http://www.scoop.it/t/cxconferences/p/4038073749/2015/03/03/symposium-and-workshop-on-social-network-analysis-sfeca2015) , via CxConferences (http://www.scoop.it/t/cxconferences)

You can contribute to Complexity Digest selecting one of our topics (http://www.scoop.it/u/complexity-digest ) and using the "Suggest" button.