Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 14:04:16 -0600
From: Complexity Digest Administration <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [comdig] Latest Complexity Digest Posts

Learn about the latest and greatest related to complex systems research. More at http://comdig.unam.mx

Can we neglect the multi-layer structure of functional networks?

    Functional networks, i.e. networks representing dynamic relationships between the components of a complex system, have been instrumental for our understanding of, among others, the human brain. Due to limited data availability, the multi-layer nature of numerous functional networks has hitherto been neglected, and nodes are endowed with a single type of links even when multiple relationships coexist at different physical levels. A relevant problem is the assessment of the benefits yielded by studying a multi-layer functional network, against the simplicity guaranteed by the reconstruction and use of the corresponding single layer projection. Here, I tackle this issue by using as a test case, the functional network representing the dynamics of delay propagation through European airports. Neglecting the multi-layer structure of a functional network has dramatic consequences on our understanding of the underlying system, a fact to be taken into account when a projection is the
only available information.

Can we neglect the multi-layer structure of functional networks?
Massimiliano Zanin

http://arxiv.org/abs/1503.04302

See it on Scoop.it (http://www.scoop.it/t/papers/p/4039608198/2015/03/20/can-we-neglect-the-multi-layer-structure-of-functional-networks) , via Papers (http://www.scoop.it/t/papers)

Topicality and Impact in Social Media: Diverse Messages, Focused Messengers

    We have a limited understanding of the factors that make people influential and topics popular in social media. Are users who comment on a variety of matters more likely to achieve high influence than those who stay focused? Do general subjects tend to be more popular than specific ones? Questions like these demand a way to detect the topics hidden behind messages associated with an individual or a keyword, and a gauge of similarity among these topics. Here we develop such an approach to identi

Weng L, Menczer F (2015) Topicality and Impact in Social Media: Diverse Messages, Focused Messengers. PLoS ONE 10(2): e0118410. http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0118410 ;

See it on Scoop.it (http://www.scoop.it/t/papers/p/4039125546/2015/03/20/topicality-and-impact-in-social-media-diverse-messages-focused-messengers) , via Papers (http://www.scoop.it/t/papers)

PageRank Approach to Ranking National Football Teams

    The Football World Cup as world's favorite sporting event is a source of both entertainment and overwhelming amount of data about the games played. In this paper we analyse the available data on football world championships since 1930 until today. Our goal is to rank the national teams based on all matches during the championships. For this purpose, we apply the PageRank with restarts algorithm to a graph built from the games played during the tournaments. Several statistics such as matches won and goals scored are combined in different metrics that assign weights to the links in the graph. Finally, our results indicate that the Random walk approach with the use of right metrics can indeed produce relevant rankings comparable to the FIFA official all-time ranking board.

PageRank Approach to Ranking National Football Teams
Verica Lazova, Lasko Basnarkov

http://arxiv.org/abs/1503.01331

See it on Scoop.it (http://www.scoop.it/t/papers/p/4039578056/2015/03/20/pagerank-approach-to-ranking-national-football-teams) , via Papers (http://www.scoop.it/t/papers)

Top-Down Self-Organization: State Logics, Substitutional Delegation, and Private Governance in Russia

    This study investigates the counterintuitive emergence of self-regulation in the Russian construction sector. Despite its proclivity for centralizing political authority, the government acted as the catalyst for the delegation of regulatory powers to private industry groups. The article argues that a factor little considered in extant literature˙˙namely, a weak and corrupt bureaucracy˙˙is key to explaining why the normally control-oriented executive branch began to promote private governance despite industry's preference for continued state regulation. The article's signal contribution is to theoretically explain and empirically demonstrate how a government's prior inability to establish intrastate control over an ineffective and bribable public bureaucracy creates incentives for political authorities to search for alternative means for policy implementation outside of existing state agencies. These findings are important for understanding the impetus and logic behind
particular regulatory shifts in countries where the state apparatus is both deficient and corrupt.

Top-Down Self-Organization: State Logics, Substitutional Delegation, and Private Governance in Russia
Masha Hedberg

Governance

http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/gove.12140 ;

See it on Scoop.it (http://www.scoop.it/t/papers/p/4039500496/2015/03/19/top-down-self-organization-state-logics-substitutional-delegation-and-private-governance-in-russia) , via Papers (http://www.scoop.it/t/papers)

Network Literacy: Essential Concepts and Core Ideas

    Network science is a significant pathway into understanding many kinds of Big Data. Since its inceptions during the late 20th century it has been increasing its relevance to people's everyday life. Networks can help us to make sense of this increasingly complex world, making it a useful literacy for people living in the 21st century.

https://sites.google.com/a/binghamton.edu/netscied/teaching-learning/network-concepts

See it on Scoop.it (http://www.scoop.it/t/cxbooks/p/4039081731/2015/03/16/network-literacy-essential-concepts-and-core-ideas) , via CxBooks (http://www.scoop.it/t/cxbooks)

You can contribute to Complexity Digest selecting one of our topics (http://www.scoop.it/u/complexity-digest ) and using the "Suggest" button.