From: Social Networks Discussion Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Elly Power
Sent: Monday, March 16, 2015 6:17 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Centrality as the Dependent Variable?

Hello all,

I was hoping I could get some advice on how (or if) I could use centrality measures (e.g., eigenvector centrality) as the dependent variable in some analyses.

I know that we usually think of centrality as an independent variable, but it seems reasonable that we might want to predict centrality. Personally, I work on religious practice, and I want to understand if the nature of someone's religious practice might influence his/her centrality.

The issue, of course, is that centrality measures are not independent. Does anyone know of any ways to deal with this? Is there anyone who has tried to look at this? Any direction would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions.

- Elly Power

--

Eleanor A. Power, PhD Candidate
Department of Anthropology