We are excited to be hosting a satellite symposium on Language and
Network Science at this year's NetSci to be held June 1st through the
5th in Zaragoza Spain. Our symposium will take place on the 2nd during
the afternoon session.

Continuing a series of satellites held at NetSci 2012 and 2013, we
will be holding the 3rd instantiation of Language and Network Science
at the NetSci2015. This symposium encourages conversation across
discipline though the common theme of using network science to
investigate various aspects of language.

This year our speakers will present their latest research at different
points of development spanning the fields of psychology, linguistics,
computer science and others. We will have 20 minute talks for the
first 3/4 of the session. The final part will include small-group
workshops, where participants will have the chance to discuss specific
topics of interest. As part of the symposium, we will be organizing a
special issue for the journal of Language and Speech for January 2016
which is accepting submissions related to psycholinguistic aspects of
language and networks.

Using a network approach to study language allows for the interactions
among words to be as important as the words themselves. Thus, language
can be studied both as an object and as a process. With this
perspective researchers can study the structure of language, changes
in structure over time and the relation of cognition to structure,
development and evolution. Speakers to this symposium will address
these aspects of language research as well as other topics. The key
uniting feature of this work is how network science can advance our
understanding of language process, and how work on language can
advance the algorithms and techniques of network science.

If you would like more information, please contact Nicole
([log in to unmask]) or Thomas ([log in to unmask]).
Please also visit the symposium website and fill out this quick google
form https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1z_ZY-CfVEs7wvC0zhnrA5IOqIWcamOTk-sakZibehR0/viewform?usp=send_form.

We are finalizing the schedule early next week so if you are
interested in attending or giving a talk, please add your information
to the form and mail a 500 word or less abstract to Nicole at
[log in to unmask]. Please put NetSci2015 in the subject
line. Note, to present at the satellite conference requires
registering for the main conference as well. Also, if you are planning
on presenting at the main conference, you cannot present the same talk
at the satellite.

Also please forward this to friends and colleagues who might be
interested. Thanks!

The symposium website:
https://csel.cs.colorado.edu/~nibe3229/netsci.html

The conference website:
http://netsci2015.net/index.php/

We hope you can join us!
  Nicole Beckage

______________________________

Michael S. Vitevitch, Ph.D.
Professor

Associate Chair of Undergraduate Studies in Psychology

Department of Psychology
1415 Jayhawk Blvd.
University of Kansas
Lawrence, KS 66045

http://www.people.ku.edu/~mvitevit
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
voice: 785-864-9312
FAX: 785-864-5696
Fraser Hall Room 406

Spoken Language Laboratory
Fraser Hall Room 011
785-864-9484

Senior Associate Director
University Honors Program
Nunemaker Center
Room 106
785-864-4225

Joint-Editor (with Joan Sereno) at Language & Speech
http://las.sagepub.com/