Dear colleagues,

with apologies for cross-posting: this is a last minute call for
collaboration in spe. On 27 March, I should submit an application for a
Junior Grant of the Czech Science Foundation. The research project is
concerned with dissident cultures in medieval Europe, and one of its central
aspects is social network analysis. I thought to send out an open call for
job applications only later, in case my project gets funded, but quite late,
I learned that unlike other programmes of the same agency, the Junior Grant
Scheme requires applicants to state the prospective team members by name.
This is why I am, at short notice, in search of a sociologist interested in
participating in the research project (if it is successful and gets the
funding). The planned position is postdoctoral, full-time, from 1 Feb 2016
to 31 Dec 2018.

One condition determined by the programme is that the research fellows have
to have 35 years or less as of 2015. This means that this call has
unfortunately to be limited to those born in 1980 or later (the exact birth
date in 1980 doesn’t matter).

Besides this condition, the prospective team member should meet the
following requirements:

- Ph.D. in sociology or a related discipline (by 31 Dec 2015 - not
necessarily now).

- Expertise in social network analysis and fair knowledge of statistics.

- Interest in participating in an interdisciplinary research project
concerned with historical social networks.

- Free to devote her/his 100% time allocation to the project in the relevant
period, and ready to move to the charming city of Brno, Czech Republic (2
hours from Vienna and 2.5 hours from Prague by train or bus) for that
period.

- Fluent in English (spoken and written), with very good academic writing
skills.

The team in spe comprises six positions in total (full-time or part-time).
Its communication language will be English.

Fore more information about my research, please check http://www.david-
zbiral.cz(http://www.david-zbiral.cz/) . For more information about the
Department for the Study of Religions at Masaryk University, which would
host the project, please visit http://www.phil.muni.cz/relig/indexen.php
(http://www.phil.muni.cz/relig/indexen.php) .

If you have any questions concerning the project or the position, please ask
me at [log in to unmask](mailto:[log in to unmask]) (so that we don’t
bother the whole list). Thank you.

If you are interested in this position in spe, please be so kind to send me
a brief statement of interest accompanied by (1) your CV and (2) one to
three of your publications concerning social network analysis, published or
submitted (preferably in English, French, Italian, Spanish, Catalan,
Portuguese, German, Polish, Czech, or Slovak). If these materials are
available online, a link is enough. I should receive your application by 27
March, 8:00 a.m. GMT. I will confirm the reception of all applications, and
communicate my choice to you by 31 March.

Technically speaking, the team members stated in the grant application have
neither the legal right nor the obligation of getting hired if the project
gets funded, but for my part, I will first offer the position to the
applicant whom I will choose at this stage (and who will therefore be stated
in the application).

By contrast, a formal engagement is not required from the prospective team
member because I understand my call comes quite late and there is not enough
time to assemble all the information and consider the call without hurry. On
the other hand, the prospective team member’s interest in this position
should be serious and realistic.

Please feel free to forward this message to colleagues who might be
interested. The call has been sent to SOCNET, SNA-DE, Historical Networks
Research, and the Networks Network Google Group.

Thank you for your time!

With all best wishes,

David Zbíral.

Dr. David Zbíral

Associate Professor at Masaryk University (Study of Religions)

Managing Editor of Religio: Revue pro religionistiku, http://www.casr.cz/
religioen.php

General Secretary of the Czech Association for the Study of Religions,
http://www.casr.cz/indexen.php

Department for the Study of Religions, http://www.phil.muni.cz/relig/
indexen.php

Faculty of Arts