Carter Butts and colleagues have done work on this:

Sutton, Jeannette; Spiro, Emma S.; Greczek, Matt; Johnson, Britta;
Fitzhugh, Sean; and Butts, Carter T. (2013). “Tweeting the Spill: Online
Informal Communications, Social Networks, and Conversational
Microstructures during the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill.” International
Journal of Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management, 5(1),
58–76.

Butts, Carter T.; Acton, Ryan M.; and Marcum, Chris. (2012).
“Interorganizational Collaboration in the Hurricane Katrina Response.”
Journal of Social Structure, 13(1) 1– 36.

Arnout

--
Arnout van de Rijt
Associate Professor of Sociology