Yesterday evening, 3/19, I found the 1st cycle Thayer's Gull and the 1st cycle Iceland Gull on the beach at Daytona Beach Shores. I had not seen the Thayer's Gull since 3/5. It is getting paler from sun-bleaching. It is smaller and slimmer-billed than the Herring Gulls and about the same size, or perhaps a bit smaller than the Lesser Black-backed Gulls. It was almost dark when I found the Thayer's at about 7:30 p.m. Both birds were well south of Frank Rendon Park, almost to where the condominiums begin. The tide is very high this week with the New Moon and is taking place near sunset. This is forcing the birds way up almost to the dunes. Unfortunately, this creates little space for people and gulls, so there is a lot of disturbance. Next week will see a low tide in late afternoon that will make the situation better. Two days ago, I also found one of the 1st cycle Lesser Black-backed Gulls that we have banded. It has a green band with white code F:002. If anyone sees this bird or (F:001), please let me know.

Michael

Michael Brothers
Marine Science Center
Ponce Inlet, FL