It's that time of year again for my work at Hal Scott Preserve with the endangered Red-cockaded Woodpecker. I started working this year getting ready for breeding season around the 5th of March. Hal Scott Preserve in Orange County is exploding with the singing birds. I've seen all the regulars, Red-cockaded Woodpecker, Bachman's Sparrow, Brown-headed Nuthatches, Eastern Bluebirds, Eastern Towhees, Meadow Larks, and Pine Warblers. Even Wild Turkey are moving around. On one of my trips I noticed that one of our male breeder Red-cockaded Woodpeckers had an extremely swollen foot. The bird was captured, and taken to a veterinarian. It was discovered that it had a broken foot, and had to be put in a cast. Since RCW's don't do well in captivity he suggested the bird be released, and captured again in 2 weeks to remove the cast. He said it had a 50/50 chance. It's getting near time to remove cast so we had to see how it was doing. I located it this morning, and it appears to still have most of the cast on. However it pecks at it a lot, and has unraveled some of the cast. I took numerous videos of the bird, and some still shots. I think it's going to make it. I've been doing this job for 9 years now, and this is a first for me. I am looking forward to seeing this little guy getting back to normal. The video with him upside down is really unique...

www.flickr.com/photos/mudhen/16876692595

www.flickr.com/photos/mudhen/16667559077

www.flickr.com/photos/mudhen/16839732855

www.flickr.com/photos/mudhen/16211624343