Whisper Songs, as I understand them, are snippets of breeding territory songs given in late winter/early spring before the bird has arrived on the breeding territory. In effect, the bird is practicing his breeding territory songs.

On Tuesday 03/17/2015 walking in Bayard Conservation Area on Lindsey Lane before the bend at the first big culvert,  I heard some delicious notes. At first I thought oriole but that was not right. Then it hit me. Thrush. I had heard the scold of a Hermit Thrush a few moments previously. Also, I had seen a HETH scolding a few weeks ago in Bayard. So, most likely I was hearing the whisper song of a HETH. Such are the special moments of birding.

Those hauntingly beautiful notes made my day, week and for that matter so far my spring migration.

As an aside, perhaps someone could comment on whether thrush scolds differ among species and also on whisper songs in general.

Good and lucky birding to all.

Lenore McCullagh
Orange Park, Clay County