Hi Barton,

I used Learning to Learn many years ago (15 or so).  It was a great
resource if you followed it pretty closely, and that is they way it was
intended. However it was less useful if you tried to "pick and choose"
content areas as the materials built on previous sections as you progressed
through the text.

At the time I was using it, Marcia and her team would sort of "customize"
the text to fit your type of institution and student needs. I believe it
was originally piloted at Boston College a private four year college with a
strong athletic program.  My institution was a small public community
college with a large "at risk" adult population.

I recall some mixed reviews from the students. Those willing to "buckle
down" and proceed with the text and embedded tasks enjoyed the experience
and benefited tremendously. Those who were looking to just get in, get what
they needed, and get out, were far less successful, as the book really
requires students to engage with it.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best,
Roberta

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 3:27 PM, Barton E Price <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I appreciate everyone's responses on this matter. We are thinking about
> re-adopting the student success course at our campus. Recently, our Vice
> Chancellor had a conversation with the author(s) of Learning to Learn by
> Heiman and Slomianko. The Vice Chancellor has asked me to review the text
> and report back on it. In addition to my evaluation of the text, I want to
> include a note about its reception among the Learning Assistance community.
>
> Are there any schools who do use the text? Can you give me your
> impressions on Learning to Learn?
>
> Thanks,
>
> bp

Roberta Schotka, Director of Programs, PLTC
Wellesley College
phone:781-283-2675
fax: 781-283-3709
CRLA NE Chapter President