Hi!

I have been a professional tutor, a trainer of tutors and a supervisor of
tutors for many years.  The tutor should definitely get paid, even if it's
a "no show".

I suggest that each "no show" client be contacted.  Encourage them to
cancel the appointment if they can't make it and then* ask them to make a
new appointment*. Remember that the purpose of tutoring is to help students
who need it. Often it is not easy for them to get the help they need.  They
may feel embarrassed, intimidated, unworthy, or anxious.  The "no show"
client should not be punished in any way. Instead, reach out to them and
encourage them to get the help they need.  Do not charge them for missed
appointments.

~Dan Callihan

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 2:36 PM, Stephanie Westine <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hello All,
> I wanted to find out from the community what other offices are doing when a
> student makes a tutoring appointment and then does not show up for the
> appointment.  Does your tutor still get paid? Are you charging the student
> for missing the appointment?  If so, is it a flat fee or based on what
> you're paying the tutor?  Or do you have a "3 strikes you're out" policy
> (if you no show three times in the semester you can no longer make
> appointments)?
>
> In addition, I'm interested in ways you've tried to encourage students to
> attend or at the very least cancel the appointment instead of being a "no
> show."  Our system will email and text students the morning of and one hour
> before the appointment, but it seems we could benefit from other ideas.
>
> Thank you,
> Stephanie
>
> --
> Stephanie Westine
> Associate Director
> Center for Academic Success
> University of West Georgia
> 200 UCC
> 678-839-0667

> browser to

Dan Callihan
Director of Academic Center for Excellence
Room #132, Wallerstedt Learning Center
Bethany College
Lindsborg, Kansas 67456
785.227.3380 Ext. 8456
*"No matter how diligent or persistent you have been, there is not one of
us who made this journey toward success by ourselves"  ~Oprah Winfrey*

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message and any attachments are for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain proprietary,
confidential, trade secret or privileged information.  Any unauthorized
review use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited and may be a violation
of law.  If you are not the intended recipient or a person responsible for
delivering this message to an intended recipient, please contact the sender
by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.