From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Russell, Robert A.
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2015 1:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: tutor down time

Angie -

I used to have ALL tutors do a spring training assignment that resulted in their making a tutorial video on a subject/topic/problem/issue that they regularly had to explain to clients. This filled up any possible downtime that they experienced in the spring < we were always busier in fall, so no down-time then. As budgets have gotten tighter and wešve had to go with a leaner tutoring staff in the spring, the space for that assignment fell away. However, over the past three summers we have had more math tutors than students to tutor (a gift from our Math Dept, who has 3-4 scholarship recipients to place with us in the summer), so Išve reinstated that assignment for them. They have to do TWO tutorial videos or one video and two app or website reviews. Wešve ended up with a lot of cool content with this assignment < itšs impressive to students, faculty and administrators, and Išve received feedback on some of the videos from all over the world!

<<

CFAA Tutors --

How often during tutoring do you feel like you're trapped in Groundhog Day? We've all experienced this kind of deja vu:

"Didn't I just explain what a comma splice was 10 minutes ago?"

"How many times today have I explained electron affinity?"

"Chi-square curve? Again? Really?"

Because of this, you've probably developed -- or wish you could have time to develop -- a quick way to address the concepts / rules / errors you often discuss with students every day. Having a "quick fix" to the problem is helpful for you in terms of time and efficiency; it would also be helpful for other tutors to know about these effective, alternative ways for explaining difficult concepts. And wouldn't it be nice if there were a bunch of these quick fixes, in audio/video form, that students could search through to find the tools they are looking for?

The Assignment:

Come up with a "Quick Fix" to a common problem you've encountered numerous times in tutoring -- a concept that students find difficult to grasp, a common error or misconception, or a tip or strategy you've developed to counter a particular problem.

You will create a short tutorial video -- no longer than three minutes (with between one-two minutes being the goal) --  with the help of our colleagues in eLearning.

These videos will eventually reside on ETSU's iTunes site as well as our own online tutoring site, The Learning Blog.

Once you come up with an idea (and you are welcome to collaborate with another tutor or even a non-tutor fellow student, if you'd like), email me with your basic "plan" for what you plan to do -- some notes are fine, but powerpoint slides, prezis are also great! -- and we will schedule a time for you to record your video during one of your regular shifts. You should choose a topic and come up with a plan by ________  at the latest, but the earlier the better!

To get you thinking, here are a couple of good examples from other CFAA
Tutors:

[youtube=http://youtu.be/w9cG0ityAQU]

[youtube=http://youtu.be/uP6xVDtPSZE]

--

Robert A. Russell
Director, Center for Academic AchievementEast Tennessee State University

Go Green! Please do not print this e-mail unless it is completely necessary.