From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Giblin, Joan
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 10:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Request for References on Metacognition Literature

Hi,

I think part of the problem is that the studies tend to focus on different aspects of metacognition and study them independently.  I have found that often the context is important as well (i.e. it may be different for teaching non native speakers English than it is for teaching science or online vs face to face). I find that self regulated learning encompasses a lot of what your post was asking about, so I have those types of articles mixed in here.  I tried to primarily include undergraduate research, but not all of the articles do so.

Basic Theoretical Background:
	Zimmerman, B. J. (1989). A social cognitive view of self-regulated academic learning. Journal of Educational 	Psychology, 81(3), 329-339.

	Zimmerman, B. J. (1990). Self-regulated learning and academic achievement: An overview. Educational psychologist, 	25(1), 3-17.

	Pintrich, P. R., & De Groot, E. V. (1990). Motivational and self-regulated learning components of classroom academic 	performance. Journal of educational psychology, 82(1), 33. (Self efficacy as a facilitator of cognitive strategy use; self
	regulation best predictor of academic performance).

	Winne, P. H., & Hadwin, A. F. (1997). Studying as self-regulated learing. In D. J. Hacker, J. Dunlosky & A. C. Graeser 	(Eds.), Metacognition in educational theory and practice (pp. 279-306). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbuam.

	Schunk, D. H. (2008). Metacognition, Self-Regulation, and Self-Regulated Learning: Research Recommendations. 	Educational Psychology Review, 20(4), 463-467.

	Sitzmann, T., & Ely, K. (2011). A meta-analysis of self-regulated learning in work-related training and educational 	attainment: what we know and where we need to go. Psychological bulletin, 137(3), 421 - a nice overview of the 	constructs within SRL from a work/learn environment

More applied/practical
	Ningfeng, Z., Wardeska, J. G., McGuire, S. Y., & Cook, E. (2014). Metacognition: An Effective Tool to Promote Success 	in College Science Learning. Journal Of College Science Teaching, 43(4), 48-54.

	Artino, A. (2008). Practical guidelines for online instructors. TechTrends, 52(3), 37-45.

	Ley, K., & Young, D. B. (2001). Instructional principles for self-regulation. Educational Technology Research and 	Development, 49(2), 93-103.

	Reid, A. J., & Morrison, G. (2014). Generative learning strategy use and self-regulatory prompting in digital
	text. Journal of Information Technology Education: Research, 13, 49-72

	Roll, I., Aleven, V., McLaren, B. M., & Koedinger, K. R. (2007). Designing for metacognition-applying cognitive tutor 	principles to the tutoring of help seeking. Metacognition & Learning, 2(2/3), 125-140. doi:10.1007/si1409-007-9010-0  	(Aleven and this group have been working towards developing an automated tutor which can improve metacognition 	specifically around the concept of help-seeking (which includes self comprehension/monitoring, adapting strategies 	etc).  Their articles tend to have some technical stuff about building the tutor, but LOTs of great stuff about 	metacognition.).

	Lee, H. W., Lim, K. Y., & Grabowski, B. L. (2010). Improving self-regulation, learning strategy use, and achievement 	with metacognitive feedback. Educational Technology Research and Development, 58(6), 629-648.

	Dhieb-Henia, N. (2003). Evaluating the effectiveness of metacognitive strategy training for reading research articles in 	an ESP context. English for Specific Purposes, 22(4), 387-417.

	Ching, L. C. (2002). Strategy and self-regulation instruction as contributors to improving students' cognitive model in 	an ESL program. English for Specific Purposes, 21(3), 261-289.

Joan Giblin
Director, Student Achievement/The Learning Center Beatty 402 Wentworth Institute of Technology
550 Huntington Ave, Boston MA 02115
617-989-4573