From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lessard, Tera
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2015 15:54
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Vocational Tutoring

Hello All-  Our campus has designated a "tutoring taskforce" to assess and make recommendations about how tutoring should be structured on our campus.  We are a mid-size community college with academic, transfer, and vocational/technical programs.  One of the obstacles the taskforce is facing is how to integrate tutoring support for the vocational programs on campus, including professional technical English/Math/Computer skills courses in which many vocational students struggle.  The taskforce has asked me to pose five questions to this list.  We would greatly appreciate and benefit from your responses.

1.       How do you identify and train tutors for your vocational programs?

2.       How do you market tutoring services to students?  Do you approach marketing differently in different programs?

3.       How do you determine the location and days/times for tutoring in the vocational programs?  Is it integrated with other tutoring, a stand-alone center, or satellite?

4.       How do you evaluate the success of your tutoring programs?

5.       How is vocational tutoring structured on your campus?  Is it within a larger tutoring program, a stand-alone program, or informal?

Tera Lessard, MA
Tutoring Services Coordinator
Spokane Community College
www.scc.spokane.edu/askatutor<http://www.scc.spokane.edu/resources/tutoring>
(509) 533-7401

Always walk through life as if you have something new to learn and you will.
~Vernon Howard, Philosopher