I would not advocate cutting a student off from tutoring completely, but I think that as students transition into adulthood (or have been there for awhile, in some cases), they need to understand that their decisions and actions affect more than just them. I've yet to run into a situation where a student was permanently banned from making appointments with us, because generally after a talk with me they understand and they do better. But even if I'd given them so many chances and they were still not showing up for appointments, we have walk-in tutoring that they are welcome to utilize as much as they wish.

Also, in regards to the tutor not being paid, in our center sometimes when a student doesn't show up the tutor chooses to leave on his or her own, for whatever reason. Maybe to study, to eat, to be with friends, but either way I feel if the tutor is not in the center and is not working, then our budget could not justify paying them. If they choose to stay and there is actual work for them to do, then that's fine.

I think we all have our own personal experiences and our own institutional mandates and we are basing our policies off those factors. Certainly there's no easy answer. If we constantly forgive students for cancelling at the last minute or not showing up, then it isn't fair to the tutor who was expecting them or the student who would have liked that appointment. But if we ban them from making appointments, then it's true they might not have access to the help they need to succeed. I try my best to find a middle ground, but I don't think there's one right answer.

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dan Callihan
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2015 12:37 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Tutor appointments

Thanks, Marti Alger,

Frankly, I am surprised at the number of folks saying that the student is banned and the tutor is not paid.  Maybe it's easier for those schools to enroll new students and hire and train new tutors than it is at the schools I have worked for.

Thanks, again,
~Dan

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 11:15 AM, Marti Alger <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Nicely stated Dan. I agree with you. The more a student needs us, the
> more likely he or she is  to have trouble coming.

Florida SouthWestern State College

Please note: Due to Florida's broad open records law, most written
communication to or from College employees is public record, available
to the public and the media upon request. Therefore, this e-mail
communication may be subject to public disclosure.

You are the Key to Information Security: http://www.fsw.edu/technology/security/