I agree Marsha. I'm sure we all want to do what's best for our students, but we also need to treat them like adults.

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Marsha M Urban
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2015 1:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Tutor appointments

We pay our tutors if the student doesnšt show up. When appointments were free, we blocked students from making appointments after two no-shows. We do have the walk-in labs, so they could get help there. Because of budgetary constraints, wešre charging $10 an appointment now. If they miss an appointment, the student has lost $10, and the tutor gets paid. I am a big proponent of preparing students for the real world. If they no-show off-campus there are consequences. They need to learn that now.

Best,
Marsha

Dr. Marsha Urban
Director, Tutoring Center, MS 078
101N Thompson Building
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno, NV 89557
(775)784-6801 (office)
(775)682-5983 (voicemail)
(775)784-4277 (fax)

On 4/23/15, 9:36 AM, "Dan Callihan" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Thanks, Marti Alger,
>
>Frankly, I am surprised at the number of folks saying that the student
>is banned and the tutor is not paid.  Maybe it's easier for those
>schools to enroll new students and hire and train new tutors than it is
>at the schools I have worked for.
>
>Thanks, again,
>~Dan
>
>On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 11:15 AM, Marti Alger <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Nicely stated Dan. I agree with you. The more a student needs us, the
>>more  likely he or she is  to have trouble coming.

Florida SouthWestern State College

Please note: Due to Florida's broad open records law, most written
communication to or from College employees is public record, available
to the public and the media upon request. Therefore, this e-mail
communication may be subject to public disclosure.

You are the Key to Information Security: http://www.fsw.edu/technology/security/