From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Roberta Schotka
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2015 11:54
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: study tables vs tutoring

Hi Lynda & All,

We have been doing this for years and it is very popular and very successful. We call it "attached" tutoring. A tutor is assigned to a specific course and section. She (we are a women's college), has set days and times ( which can be altered based on student demand). Students enrolled in that course section can come for help as needed. Students do not need an appointment, can stay as short or as long as they want and can still take advantage of other academic support services such as individual tutoring, help room tutoring and/or SI, as needed.

Students love the regularity, the convenience and the "exclusivity" of having a tutor dedicated to their class.

Best,
Roberta

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 12:02 PM, Lynda Sukolsky <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hello and happy Friday.
>

> I am wondering if anyone uses study tables and if you have any data to
> support they are a better intervention over traditional tutoring?
>
> I am defining study tables as a set time for enrolled students of a
> specific course to meet with a student guide/tutor/facilitator.  They
> would work on current content, receive help when needed, work as a group, etc.
>  (the student guide is not attending class or developing materials)
>

> Thank You!
> Lynda Sukolsky
>

> Lynda J. Sukolsky, M.Ed.
> Assistant Dean of Student Success/
> Academic Achievement Center Director
> Seton Hill University
> Greensburg, PA

Roberta Schotka, Director of Programs, PLTC Wellesley College
phone:781-283-2675
fax: 781-283-3709
CRLA NE Chapter President
CRLA-ITTPC Coordinator