From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of McCarthy, Suzanne
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2015 9:52 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: study tables vs tutoring

We have created Mentored Study Groups targeting classes that students typically view as challenging.  Our Faculty chairs have helped us identify course where they feel a weekly review of materials and practice would be useful.  The group is led by a tutor who works in consultation with the faculty teaching the course.  We expect regular attendance on the part of group members just like appointment based tutoring.  We have used this effectively in higher level mathematics and science.

Suzanne McCarthy
Senior Director
ACADEMIC SUCCESS and ADVISING CENTER
Centenary College