From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lykins, Jarrett
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2015 8:49 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Transfer Peer Mentor Program

Greetings,

My colleague and I are looking to start a transfer peer mentor program on campus to address transfer student transition issues. Our institution is rooted in health science programs, primarily pharmacy but also some B.S. programs. Our programs have very rigorous curricula and unfortunately some students do not adjust quickly enough to the difficulty level of their courses. We already have a thriving peer mentor program for incoming 1st year students, but transfers are much different population, and we do not feel that the activities, events, or information provided by our 1st year mentor program would be fully beneficial to transfer students. We are hoping that developing a specifically targeted peer mentor program may be an avenue of support for our transfers, who in some sense, feel like they already have college figured out. We've attained student buy-in for the program (a cohort of interested peer mentors) but we are still in the process of developing it.

If anyone has a program like this on their campus and would be willing to share resources I would very much appreciate it.

Regards,

Jarrett

Jarrett D. Lykins, M.S.Ed
Coordinator of Academic Learning Services Division of Student Affairs
Phone: (518) 694-7284
Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
106 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, NY 12208-3492|
Schedule a tutoring appointment @ albany.askonline.net<http://www.albany.askonline.net/>
Find us on Facebook @ facebook.com/acphspeertutors<http://www.facebook.com/acphspeertutors>