One final thought on this, Danna:

I liken students' using your own college's tutors to buying fresh produce at the local farmers market:

-- You are providing home-grown intellectual nourishment.
-- Organically, you enrich the "soil" (your own tutors and tutoring center) through this market.  You don't allow fields (potential tutors) to lay fallow and go to waste.
-- You and your customers know where this knowledge food is coming from.
-- You have greater control over quality.
-- You serve your customers better though personal and immediate response to their needs.
-- The limited resources of money, energy and time are spent locally and can help with the economic/educational development of your own community and tutors (educational farmers).
-- It is a "green" thing to do because the money made by your local people will circulate through your local economy.  Plus, you have some say over how limited resources are allocated.

Why send your students to the tutoring equivalent of WalMart when you can provide something much more valuable at less expense and with greater outcomes (for students, tutors, campus and local economies)?

So, now for the inevitable bumperstick:  "Think Globally.  Tutor and Learn Locally."

(Stepping off my soapbox)

Alvin

Gentry Alvin Madden-Grider
Learning Strategies Coordinator
University College
606-783-5181
Allie Young 215

"Those who do not study are only cattle dressed up in men's clothes." -- Confucius (551-479 BC)

This e-mail, including any attachments, is intended only for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential information that is legally privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that any review, use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify me immediately.